The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fulbright event New York City (NYC)


Before I started on my next adventure to NYC, the early part of the week consisted of a teleconference with Clinton Community College, transcribing my field notes and presenting a lecture on the topic of educational research to SUNY Oswego students. I really enjoyed the lecture and to make it fun for the students, because most of you would know how exciting the topic would be...NOT! I made part of the presentation a cross promotional opportunity with Tourism Queensland who provided a media clip, beach bags and tourism brochures. This strategy heightened the level of participation and interest and I was so glad to have an opportunity to present, so thank you Abby.
My two day trip to NYC was fun, but exhausting. It started around 9.00am with a generous offer of a ride to Syracuse International Airport from my host, Professor Susan Camp. Arriving at the check-in and the security area you are immediately reminded of the heighten security threat. The long lines to check identification and boarding tickets, and the removal of belts, shoes and jackets and a final body search, is a clear indication of what a different world we now live in. Naturally I prefer the delay knowing that I’m flying safely.
My flight was only delayed by an hour and I’m of the belief that on time flights are a rarity in the U.S. I flew with Jet Blue which is similar to Virgin Blue from home. However, they do offer a few free extras than the other airlines. These included the first checked in bag, in-flight snacks, an entertainment system, additional leg room and leather seats. The cabin crew were very friendly and overall it was a good experience.
Within an hour we touched safely down at JFK Airport NY. I found my way to the luggage collection area and waited patiently hoping my bag would also arrive. I then breathed a sigh of relief when I saw my bag on the luggage carousal...well done Jet Blue! I collected my bag and followed the signage to the AirTrain which then links to Howard Beach Station “A” train subway to Manhattan. Travel to and from JFK via AirTrain is $5 as you enter or exit the system and you can purchase a MetroCard which includes the $2.25 cost on the subway to Manhattan. Mind you, the train ride into Manhattan took an hour and a half on the regular commuter “A” train.
Finally I arrived at 34th St Penn Station around 3.00pm and it was only a short walk to the Comfort Inn Manhattan on W 35th St. The Comfort Inn was a real bargain in Manhattan at $225 USD per night, Government rate which excluded taxes.
I then had the pleasure of The Consul-General of Australia, Philip H. Scanlan, to attend the Australian-American Fulbright Scholars and Alumni reception at his Residence on East 42nd Street. As part of the 60th Anniversary celebrations, he presented Fulbright Pins to American Alumni whose Scholarships took place before 2001 and then welcomed the visiting scholars.
It was interesting to hear the Consul-General and two American, and one Australian Fulbright Alumni speak. There was a consistent message which highlighted the importance of the cultural and knowledge exchange between Australia and America. Indeed, the Fulbright Scholarship is truly a gift which enhances our personal and professional development to new heights.
One of the best moments of the night was to catch up with the other current Fulbright Scholars from home. For most, we have not seen each other since the presentation dinner in Melbourne. It was so much fun trading stories about our experiences so far in the U.S. The celebrations then continued at an Italian restaurant, Osteria Laguna for scholars and their partners. We were allocated a private room at the restaurant and the service was friendly and efficient.
I ordered a spinach lasagne which was delicious and a mouth-watering apple tart with cinnamon ice cream for dessert. The night or should I say the early hours of the morning concluded with one $15 cocktail at Campbell Apartments located above Grand Central Train Station. A big thanks to the other scholars and their partners for such a great night!
Ciao,
Mark

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice that you got to catch up with the other Scholars, looks like a feast - you are certainly eating your way around NY!

    Great you got to present too and that no-one fell asleep (that you're admitting to anyway) LOL

    You take good pics, thanks for your diligence on the visuals, helps enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive. Makes for a hard act to follow when you come home to good old Brissy.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete