The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Monday, November 1, 2010

Oswego bound ~ the return journey

One of the oddest ongoing feelings waking up in New York City (NYC), and one of the reasons why I’m still overwhelmed, is how busy this great city is. The energy of NYC just consumes and intoxicates you with excitement and diversity. It’s such a thrill to be here. I look forward to when I’m on holidays which by the way is not too far away, and explore this inspiring metropolis further. As it was early morning and travelling is hungry, thirsty work, I decided to partake in the complimentary continental breakfast. The breakfast had everything you needed to get you started with your day. It was a most pleasant interlude with cereal and scrumptious waffles.

Once I finished breakfast I checked out of the Comfort Inn and made my way to Penn Station. Surprisingly, I spotted a person dressed in a Darth Vader Costume (including the face mask) disappearing through the crowded streets. I was able to get a quick glance and noticed that he was carrying a backpack under his black cape and wearing a white long sleeve business shirt. I guess he was going to work but, what was he thinking? Then again it’s NYC. Also, it was interesting to note that no one batted an eyelid...how funny!
Based on my inbound experience on the “A” train, I factored in plenty of time to arrive at JFK Airport. However, based on the advice from the information officer at Penn Station, I boarded the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) express train to Jamaica Station and then made the connection to the AirTrain to JFK Airport. Although the cost was $13.00 I arrived at the airport within approximately 35 minutes.
The timing paid off and I was placed on standby for an earlier flight (12.30pm) back to Syracuse. It was now 11.30 am and I thought I had ample time to pass through the TSA security check point, and how wrong I was. It was complete chaos with only two lines opened on the busiest day of travel and a shift change to boot. My flight was now boarding and I was the next in line to pass through the screening area. Quickly, I gathered my belongings and as luck would have it, the boarding gate is the furthest one away. Maybe I spoke to early about late departures, but with one seat available and five minutes to spare I made it!
When I arrived at Syracuse International Airport I struggled with the limited choice of ground transportation. There is no public transport to the Regional Transportation Center (RTC) in Syracuse. The only ground transport is a pre-paid flat-rate taxi service at $25.90 for a 6 mile (10 minute) journey. And they call it an International Airport...go figure. After reluctantly catching a taxi to the RTC, my trek back to Oswego continued with a 2 hour bus ride.
It was an enjoyable bus ride home with an opportunity to appreciate the colours of Fall along the way. When I arrived in Oswego it was dark, breezy and chilly, and the forecast says more to come.

Brrr,
Mark

1 comment: