After originally floating the idea about a month ago to visit New York City (NYC) and watch the Yankees final home game on Sunday against Boston with Vocational Teacher Preparation colleagues, Eugenio and Matt, today the road trip became a reality. However, the road trip also had a second motive. Eugenio and Matt had to attend a visa interview at The Consulate General of Nigeria in NYC for a pending educational visit.
Before embarking on this adventurous journey, there were a few chores to complete and partake in a delicious two course dinner at Eugenio’s home. Located in an enchanted forest setting and using a line from the Aussie film “The Castle”, Eugenio’s home is pure serenity.
The late afternoon was filled with enjoyable conversation, a smooth Cabernet Sauvignon and traditional Chilean cuisine. The salad, soup and Pastel de Choclo (corn pie) was scrumptious, so thank you Eugenio for a delightful meal and your thoughtfulness.
Because we were having such a wonderful time, we didn’t realise how late it was. We had told Matt that pick up was 6.45 pm and it was already 7.30 pm. I guess time flies when you’re having fun. Eugenio quickly placed the tableware in the dishwasher and we were then off to Baldwinsville (24 miles South of Oswego) to pick up Matt. After a short hiccup “all cats look black in the dark”, we finally found Matt’s home. There was also a late addition to the road trip. A colleague of Eugenio couldn’t resist the temptation of travelling to NYC...talk about spontaneity and excitement.
With Eugenio behind the wheel it was then a short drive to Syracuse to pick up the additional passenger. This is the part of the road trip that some would say is foolhardy or maybe a little impulsive, but I was eager to share the driving responsibility to NYC. Eugenio had a late night the day before so he was willing to hand over the wheel...a decision which he may regret later.
Taking the advice of a colleague (Kath) from home, always say “Yes” and then worry about the consequences latter, and mixed with a little of the Aussie “Have a go!” attitude, I stated the 247mile drive to NYC. Travelling on Highway I-81S, I'm grateful that I've had the opportunity to drive through the States of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. However, I do wish it could have been daylight. I’m sure it’s a picturesque drive.
During the road trip I made a promise to myself (and others) to follow Vanessa’s driving tip #1 (refer previous posting). If I didn’t, I would now be a wanted man in three States and known as “The Bandit”, which by the way has a certain ring to it.
We've had some awesome moments on our road trip to NYC and I have not had the time to give them the time they deserve. Although there are a few moments which will always be cherished, one will be seeing the dazzling lights of the Manhattan skyline from the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel.
The second, despite arriving around 1.00 am Sunday morning in NYC the traffic congestion at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel and the queuing length is something to behold. Third, driving all the way from Syracuse into Manhattan and onto the cosmopolitan Greenwich Village, and then finding a perfect parking spot would also make George (Seinfeld character) envious.
My colleagues were so proud of me that we survived (seriously) in the imposing and always daunting NYC traffic. As a result of this achievement, they have awarded me an honorary NY State driver’s licence. The continual honking of horns, police and ambulance sirens blazing, and the busy NY taxis, how am I ever going to get back to everyday life are experiencing this? I will, somehow.
It’s so true! NY is “a city that never sleeps” and truth be told (and I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone), we didn't want the early hours of the morning to end because the village was buzzing. So we headed off to a few jazz and blues bars in Greenwich Village before resting our weary heads at Eugenio’s brothers apartment back in New Jersey.
With the big game only hours away “Go the Yankees”.
Mark















Dosn't get any better than that Mark. NYC is truly awesome! Driving back home will seem like such a breeze. Shelbell.
ReplyDeleteI want that house...I am serious, for once. Mine, mine, mine!
ReplyDelete