Thanks for the wonderful comments on the last couple of posts from my two loyal followers, it's very much appreciated! However, having said that I'm feeling pretty positive there are a few more enjoying the read. So please feel free to comment and don’t be shy.
We awoke around 10.00 am to an overcast Manhattan skyline and settled on having brunch at Los Andes Bakery, North Bergen, New Jersey (NJ). Eugenio ordered nearly one of everything on the hot menu and therefore, the food just seemed to keep coming in an endless stream of delights. The Empanadas de pino, which is sweet dough that is less flaky than pie crust filled with delicious ground beef, onions and olives, was a clear favourite for all.
Being well fed, with little distended round bellies, the only logical thing seemed to be was to make our way to Penn Station to drop off Eugenio’s colleague. Sadly she had to catch a train to Buffalo. Also, you don't need to know the details but public toilets are difficult to find in Penn Station. All the Mens Restrooms were closed for refurbishment, so I had no choice but an emergency stop at a port-a-loo. A NY experience which I would have preferred not to have...just believe me.
We then spent an awesome afternoon cruising the streets of Manhattan. Long story short, we did a complete circuit of the island taking in the many sights which included: Battery, East River, Central and Riverside Parks, Harlem and Broadway. It was one of those busy but exciting afternoons that will always stick in your memory. Once again, NY has lived up to its reputation as an exhilarating city and if this was the appetiser...roll on November.
Back in NJ a family friend of Eugenio’s joined us for the most amazing early dinner at Restaurante-Tapas Bar. Now Spanish is not my dominant cuisine in Oz, but Eugenio has a gift to seek out the best restaurant wherever we are. Maybe it’s because he had lived in NYC for a number of years. The food. Oh, the food, the glorious, glorious food. The Pollo Villaroy (crumbed chicken breast in béchamel sauce) was so yummy! The service was friendly and quick (remembering that we had a baseball game to go to), and the restaurant was full of diners, and the atmosphere including the Spanish music was entertaining.
Mind you, in amongst of all that goodness and fun; time had slipped away. We were now running late for the Yankees game. Fortunate for us, Eugenio’s family friend was kind enough to give us a ride into Manhattan to catch the train to Yankees Stadium in the Bronx.
The story continues...
Mark













Those Empanadas de pino sound and look delicious - I do love trying local (edible I hasten to add) cuisine, thank God for tastebuds I always say, as life would be quite dull sometimes without them!
ReplyDeleteThere are some things I won't voluntarily put in my mouth of course, and raw fish is one of them - I'm sure there are more (like brussel sprouts and tripe etc.), but that bakery looked like heaven. And don't get me started on tapas or I might never stop. I have friends in Spain waiting for me to visit to show me the best tapas in town and one day I am determined to get there!
Glad to know the distended pot- belly is a product of loving determination to masticate and enjoy all things on the American menu!
Don't curse Manhattan - many people love it there :)
Sounds like a very full day - you need more time to enjoy it properly for sure. November isn't that far away!
Hope you enjoyed the game in the end.
Ok. One word of advice. Enos. And lots of it. Signed, Harry THB.
ReplyDelete