On Saturday afternoon I visited a re-enactment of the American Revolution at Fort Ontario, Oswego. Hundreds of re-enactors with the National Encampment of the Brigade of the American Revolution, depicted mock battles between the British and Colonial armies. It was great to see living history take place, especially the role of the American Loyalists fighting for the British. After the war it is estimated 450,000 Loyalists fled to Canada, which many of them formed the foundation of the province of Ontario.
Bob Kashary pictured below played a Colonial Officer, he said the last time the National Encampment was at the fort was 1996. He had also travelled from Ohio to participate in the event. At today’s re-enactment the British won the battle against the Colonial army who retreated with heavy casualties. Traditional soldiers’ camps, craft markets and weapon displays were open for guests to enjoy and be actively involved in the experience.
One item at the markets especially caught my eye. It was a coonskin cap worn on the television series Daniel Boone. Sorry only the baby boomers should remember the show. The cap was only $10 I was tempted to buy one but didn’t. Thinking of how would I explain it passing through customs in Oz.
When leaving Fort Ontario I couldn’t believe my eyes, a game of cricket was the last thing I expected to see being played in the U.S. I approached one of the re-enactors named Steve and we chatted for an hour. He was so knowledgeable of our national game and is looking forward to watching the upcoming Ashes Series on his PC via a cable network. I was proud to see our national game being played in another country and the only variation was the ball was being bowled underarm.
The night concluded with a game of cards (Tarot and President) with Susan, Julia and Barbara. I lost several sheep stations and in the words of Kenny Rodgers, “You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em”…Due to an unseasonable change in the weather on Sunday, I had a dose of what the folks here would say, cabin fever.
Cheers,
Mark








Looks fantastic, wish I could be there!
ReplyDeleteShelbell
Those Daniel Boone hats have got me singing the old Daniel Boone series song in my head - over and over and over - thanks Mark! :)
ReplyDeleteps we'd have loved to have seen you on Border Security trying to explain that one away! Ange J.
"Daniel Boon was a man..he was big man! He was brave, he was fearless and as tough as a mighty oak tree" LOVED that show - you should SO have bought that cap but yes, customs would have been a challenge. Not like something easier, say...a full body Darth Vader suit for instance. :)
ReplyDeleteLove re-enactments - just got back from the Kelly weekend in Beechworth - HUGELY brilliant. And the armour all together like that, fabulous. Sounds like they are putting on lots of events just for you whilst you're there. Very lucky.
Oh and Happy Birthday to me - wow - thanks Mark! :) Have had a couple to celebrate!