Chicago airport is similar to L.A. airport; it’s massive... just like a mini city. You can get almost anything there with the exception of a public or long distant phone that works. During my search for a phone I had an opportunity to meet a U.S Marine. Dave was returning home from his first tour of Afghanistan and was looking forward to seeing his wife and family. He had only just got married a few weeks before being shipped out. Despite flying for five consecutive days he was fairly upbeat.
We spoke about his experiences in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait, which were mostly heartfelt. Recently while on patrol in Afghanistan he had lost three of his friends to roadside improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Again, you realise how important family is. Dave also asked about the views of the Australian people towards the war in Afghanistan and the recent Australian casualties. He thoroughly enjoyed our open and friendly conversation and commented that it was very rare to be able to chat as we did in a busy U.S. airport.
I then decided to find the airport information booth for assistance. Using my Aussie charm, the customer service officer provided me with the use of her phone to call home. Her kindness was greatly appreciated. After the call she wanted to know about Australia...I thought a fair exchange, so we chatted for about a half an hour. To prepare for my final leg of this amazing journey, I visited the American Airlines Club and ordered a Red Belly Black Shiraz from S.A. What a nice drop of red it was!
No global roaming on your mobile?
ReplyDeleteNice when you find interesting people to talk to - but travellers are far more open to that I find, always ready for a chat (like me :) )
Love wind - may have to visit Chicago one day!