The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First day at SUNY Oswego

When I awoke at 5.30 am (heavily jet lagged) on my first day at SUNY Oswego, I took a short walk (approximately 30 meters) from my apartment through a cluster of pine trees to the foreshore of Lake Ontario.  The beauty and the size of the lake is truly something to behold.  Birdlife (e.g. gulls, herons, and cranes) is abundant. Squirrels and chipmunks were also gleefully playing and searching for food nearby. Also, a few yachts were chasing the gentle winds across the lake. Beyond doubt it’s an amazing backyard.
On such a sunny and hot summers day, I then decided to familiarise myself with the campus and to increase my Global Corporate Challenge step average. I think it’s the PB day back home. Because of the summer break the campus is exceptionally quite.  However, numerous geese, which at times, can be noisy, gather around the ever green campus grounds. They share the campus Glimmerglass Lagoon with ducks (at least their not in my pool). Located to the west of the lagoon is the award winning green design Village townhouse community. To be opened this fall, the community will house 350 upperclassmen. 
During the walk-a-round I was able to experience a part of the U.S. sporting culture. A youth ice hockey tournament is being held over the next three days in the newly built Campus Center. I’ve seen a few ice hockey games on television but it does not do the game justice. It’s incredibly fast and an actioned packed sport where the spectators really involve themselves. Also, visited Al Roker's television studio.
The day concluded with a walk to a local drug store to pick some stores, dinner at the golden arches because of the free wifi...although it took a half an hour to connect, and then 35,215 (GCC) steps later and a wine in hand, I watched one of the most vibrant red sunsets from the lake foreshore.

5 comments:

  1. That is a lot of steps and sounds like you have some fantastic surrounds to take them in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, it all sounds too good to be true. How are you going to get any work done with all those wonderful surroundings to occupy your time; and what a fabulous way to end the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful Mark just the environment for inspirational thoughts. All strength to you. Bert

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUCKS! Yes! Now that made me laugh...

    35,215 steps? True? Takes me an hour to walk 8,000 - exercise should soon sort out that jetlag! Sounds beautiful there - I'm a wee bit jealous, it has to be said. :)

    Drug store...(chortle) - starting the lingo already eh? Would love to see an Ice Hockey match too, looks fast and furious on telly so would be amazing to witness for real i reckon.

    Have caught up now I'm home so will enjoy your adventures as you post - and remain jealous of your travels of course, that goes without says - and will try to continue to behave as well...how am I doin' so far?

    Good luck with it all Mark. Ciao for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark,
    Finally logged onto the blog. It sounds fascinating, exciting and a once a lifetime experience.

    I will keep in touch. Enjoy!!! Tony

    ReplyDelete