We started our day with a walk along 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Plaza and the Plaza Hotel.
5th Avenue has every shop you could ever dream of and if you have the money or a limitless credit card, you may think it’s shopping heaven. All the famous designer shops are there like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Cartier, Dolce & Gabbana, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Loren, Armani, and of course Tiffany and Co. It's an excellent experience and a must for anyone who visits’s NYC.
John and I then took a detour into Grand Central Terminal (Station). Restored to its old glory this train station is a hub of activity in midtown Manhattan. The building is spectacular on its own, but the waiting room is breathtaking and seeing the arched ceilings covered with constellations is truly impressive.
There is a decent food court on the lower level, as well as public restrooms (always good to know in NYC). The Campbell Apartment on the mezzanine is a classy place to grab a cocktail (apparently). The Grand Central Marketplace is also a great place to grab some gourmet foods for a quick picnic in Bryant Park, just down the street outside of the NYC Public Library. Simply put, the Grand Central Terminal is definitely one of the most architecturally appealing structures in NYC and cannot be missed.
Well, I hope some of you may remember the Seinfeld episode about the soup man and who doesn't like the expression "No soup for you, Next"? This is by far one of my favourite episodes of Seinfeld. For those who cannot remember the episode, the following video clips should help.
This is not the original place where Al Yeganeh started his famous soup business, but it still reminded me of how hard he worked for his soups. Going over ‘The Rules’ many times in my mind, I nervously ordered the crab bisque. I then placed the money on the counter and moved to the extreme left, while John ordered the lobster bisque.
The quality and taste of the soup has the OMG factor. Oh, and they give you bread and a Lindt chocolate, which is a perfect way to end any meal. Al Yaganeh, you are a living legend, and I will heed your rules for the crab bisque I love...Next!
On the way back to our hostel we stopped at Crumbs Cupcake, because there nothing like a late evening treat. These cupcakes are pricy, but well worth it. I ordered a Blackbottom cheesecake brownie which is a brownie cake with cheesecake baked in topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting covered with brownie chunks and vanilla cream cheese drizzle. So, when it comes to a good old-fashioned calorie-packed cupcake, for variety and taste, I say Crumbs takes the cake!
Later that evening I returned to 5th Avenue and Times Square to look at some of the beautiful Christmas displays, whilst John had a quite night in.
Cheers,
Mark
































Port and Lindt, that is THE best way to end a meal! Soup Nazi best episode ever (but there were so many classics, hard to choose really but this one was special). Jealous you got to try but glad you did - a must have NY experience. He may hate Seinfeld but he should be grateful for the exposure, i say. Certainly didn't do him any harm it seems.
ReplyDeleteLOVE that building with the Autumn (sorry), Fall trees, I love the whole modern 'green city' push, some of the things they are doing around the world is incredible.
That cupcake is death by calorie. What is a calorie? Calories are little b*(#&^#ds who creep into your wardrobe at night and sew your seams together.
That Grand Central looks very lovely - always a sucker for a good piece of architecture and a painted ceiling. Lovely - pity about the Empire State though. I'm rather fond of the Chrysler Bldg myself, for the look of it.
Nice Chrissy lights, and you outlasted the younger generation again I see. Well done!
cheers
Lindel
PS: You have soup on your chin btw...LOL