The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Monday, January 10, 2011

Sleepy Saturday

Well, well. I think the demanding pace of the sightseeing itinerary has finally taken its toll. I’ll be the first to admit that I enjoyed the 8.00 am sleep in. John was still catching a few zzzzz’s so I thought it might be best not to disturb him. It was weird sleeping in but I felt so relaxed and rested.


By mid morning I kicked into gear, well not exactly top gear but out of 'park' anyway, and decided to take a leisurely walk to the TKTS discount booth located at the South Street Seaport to try my luck for tickets to tonight’s performance of La Cage Aux Folles staring Kelsey Grammer and Douglas Hodge (a British Shakespearean actor) .
When I arrived at the booth an hour and a half later I got a pleasant surprise. The lines of people are shorter than in Times Square. Also, while waiting in line locals were hustling their wares. You could buy fake prestigious watch brands for example, Rolex and Tag Heuer; Ray ban, DG and Coach Sunglasses, and Louis Vuitton Handbags. Of course I wasn’t tempted...well almost.

As I reached the front of the line it must have been my lucky day. I purchased 50% off tickets to La Cage Aux Folles and the seats are three rows from the front. All systems are now go, for an enjoyable night at the Longacre Theatre.

I then took a different route back to the hostel and visited SoHo. What an amazing neighbourhood. It’s the place to go if you love shopping, eating, and drinking. Hold on a minute and what am I talking about, that’s all of Manhattan. But seriously, it’s a trendy area for the young and beautiful people of NYC with some high end shops, great architecture and yummy restaurants.

I ended up walking for over two and a half hours zigzagging my way through SoHo. I had taken a few detours along the way visiting a number of clothing outlet stores. By late afternoon I found an excellent bargain, three pairs of Calvin Kline Jeans for $99. Great value and exactly what I was looking for in style and size. It was a pleasant and productive day after all. While I was away it was nice to see John kicking back on the couch in the common room of the hostel watching television.

Later that evening we headed off to La Cage Aux Folles. To say Kelsey and Douglas were brilliant would be selling the musical short. It surpassed all expectations and it was one of the best nights we’ve had on Broadway. What more can I say?
The performance had such intensity, humour and heart. Thank you to the cast for a fun night and not that there is anything wrong with that. Enjoy the short cabaret!
Cheers,
Mark

1 comment:

  1. For some reason Soho has always intrigued me - bet you had a lovely wander on your own around there and a few Latte's downed probably. I expect to see the new Ray Bans and Rolex next time (oh come on, how could you resist?) and I bet that new Louis Vuitton handbag will go with the new strides just beautifully ...

    8:00 am is NOT a sleep-in. Certainly not in my world! But I guess it is when travelling and shoving as much into each day as possible, with no regard to the realities of time and the number of hours in any given day and 5:00 am start is the norm.

    La Cage Aux Folles looks fabulous and a definite must (an old member of the group, back in the 80's when they toured here, was the only other 'Lindel' I ever came across, or ever have since for that matter. Not sure I'm entirely happy about that though, for obvious reasons) - you were lucky to get such good seats.

    I like how the younger generation was wiped out and the older generation rep. kept up the pace! Go us Boomers!

    Love Kelsey Grammer! Bet he was awesome.

    ReplyDelete