The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tremendous Thursday

Ah, lately John and I have become night owls and I’m wondering if we can maintain this hectic pace. Since our arrival in NYC three days ago each day has been eventful and an amazing adventure. Something you could only dream of and I’m guessing today will be no exception. Later in the morning we headed out to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum Madame Tussauds Wax Museum and King Tut’s exhibit in Times Square. It's another chilly day today, and probably just the ticket for a day of indoor sightseeing.

The tour starts out as a cocktail party with wax ‘A’ List Celebrities, and then progresses from one theme room to another for example, music, film, sport, politics and humanity. Sorry to disappoint, a museum it’s not! It’s more like an attraction. Also, without a New York Pass some may find this attraction overpriced ($35). However, it was lots of fun taking photographs with the wax figures in various poses. It’s definitely an attraction for the young at heart.
So the afternoon plan was to visit the King Tut exhibit but first, I decided to purchase a ticket for tonight’s performance of the Lion King. The tickets for the Lion King are never discounted so you can only purchase them online or at the theatre. However, I did have a 10% off coupon. Lucky for me, John elected for a quiet night back at the hostel and therefore, I had a greater chance of a good seat by purchasing a single ticket. Blessed again (Yay!), aisle seat only five rows back on the left hand side of the stage! A great opportunity to see something I normally might not have shelled out the dollars ($115) to go.
We then walked a block to King Tut’s exhibit in Times Square. The exhibit opened in NYC late April to mixed reviews. The marketing for the exhibit states there are over 130 artifacts in the show and it’s the largest King Tut exhibit ever assembled in the last thirty years in NYC. If you don't have a New York Pass, $35 is the standard admission price.
It was an amazing ninety minute journey through an extraordinary time in history. The relics and artefacts were incredible and well displayed. However, there were only a few items from his tomb and this was a bit disappointing. Most of the content came from his royal relations (family regime). If you are fascinated by the ancient world then this exhibit is for you.
The evening concluded with an exceptional performance of the Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre. It’s the most amazing show I have seen to date. A magical experience and a must see. I had goose bumps from start to finish and the costumes are spectacular. The whole theatre stood up at the end of the performance to express their gratitude to the actors and actresses who gave us a memorable evening. The following video clip is a sneak peek of the Lion King. Enjoy! 
Roll on Fabulous Friday,
Mark

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the Lion King. One of the many I would love to see but definitely top of the list, after 'Wicked' which I got to see in Melbourne last year or so. My friend has seen it twice and said it is one of the best ever musicals she's seen and she's seen them all! Would love that, how lucky for you to get such a good seat. Am jealous again, sadly.

    Wax figures are creepy as, but always fun. I never miss visiting Mdm T in London when there. (That sounds like I'm there all the time, though sadly no. Only four times, 3 of which included Mdm T though). One day I'll be rich and travel everywhere I want to go! Just putting it out there Universe...

    Saw some Mummies in Melbourne - they were very dry (with the driest sense of humour - oh come on, I had to say it...) and very dead and very very boring - they didn't DO anything! LOL. No, very fascinating that whole time in history but yeah, seen one Mummy...

    Looks like you had a fun time with Elton. Have seen him in concert about 4 times. Love him!

    ReplyDelete