The 2010 Fulbright Australian Scholars with Professor Glyn Davis, VC University of Melbourne (11th from left), Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich (13th from left), Dr Joe Hlubucek, Executive Director, Fulbright Commission (centre) and Mr Tom Pascarella, Chair, Fulbright Commission (13th from right). Presentation dinner photos: Timothy Burgess

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Searching Sunday

Sigh, it’s another chilly day in NYC and when John and I awoke, we realised our three day hop on and hop off bus pass for the City Sights tours had not been activated. Despite the chilly weather we agreed there’s no time like the present. So after our breakfast we wandered down to Madame Tussauds to activate our bus pass.

There are two routes available, one for uptown and the other for downtown. We decided to focus on the lower part of NYC, taking in the sights of West and Greenwich Village, SoHo, Chinatown, the Financial Distinct, Little Italy, and East Village. Our City Sights NY bus departed from Times Square and then headed down to the Garment District of Manhattan.
The bus has only an upper deck, half of which is covered by clear (if it was cleaned) perspex. If you have a little height, mind your head on the perspex cover, ouch!!! Also, the hard plastic seats are cold and uncomfortable. The other thing is the cool breeze on your face (brrr) as the bus slowly crawled through the streets of Manhattan. It was a pretty cold day and maybe it wasn’t the best decision, but our days in NYC were coming to an end.
Ater travelling a short distance the City Sights NY tour bus stopped. The attendant then asked us to disembark and board another bus at the next stop. How strange, no reasons were given but maybe they didn’t want two half filled buses travelling the same route. Who knows???
Following a short break, it was back on the bus so to speak. Overall the City Sights NY tour was pretty ordinary and the commentary was mildly interesting. As a result we made a decision to get off the bus at Battery Park and complete the rest of our adventure on foot.
Once we got our bearings we took in some of the sights around the Financial District and in particular, the World Trade Centre (WTC) site. Ground Zero is a sombre experience and for very obvious reasons. As you view the site you get a very strange feeling. It’s difficult to comprehend that thousands of innocent people died in this exact spot. The rebirth of the area is well underway and therefore, many cranes are a feature of the skyline and the memorial site is fully fenced.
I would like to return to the 9/11 Memorial Site when all the works are completed but for now, we need to remind ourselves that this could happen anywhere and to anyone. This sacred place will always be an important part of our history and represents the day that the world changed. So, after paying our respects we strolled around the Financial District and then participated in some retail therapy at Century 21 Department Store. As usual there were bargains aplenty.
By late afteroon we had an enjoyable stroll along Broadway stopping at the Silver Spurs Diner. The service was a bit slow but the food was delicious and well priced. Once again, John could not resist the burger with sweet potato fries and I was craving for something sweet. Just check out the Flap Jacks for $6.95.
Wow, what a week! By now you must know I love theatre, I love music, and I love a good show tune. So it's no surprise that I love the lights of Broadway.
Five days to go!
Mark

4 comments:

  1. Wow, fabulous pics (love the trees in the Mall)- How was Little Italy? That's another place I'd probably never leave, all that Italian food *drool*.

    You looked a wee bit nippy there lad, coolish was it?

    Was that the Soup Nazi? Get OUT! Ha - best episode ever. Hope you tried his soup - if not then, at some stage before you left.

    I spy the Sliver building - always remember that so well from one of my favourite authors, Ira Levin. It was such a strange book because his writing was always quite captivating and that book (the one made into the movie based on that building style) was written in such a strange way - short, sharp tiny sentences (I know, totally ALIEN to me LOL). Hard to read, but still a good story.

    9/11 - i'm not sure I'd cope with standing there without bursting into tears, it would be very eerie being there - I think you would still be able to feel the despair. I am interested to see what the Memorial ends up like/as.

    One - just one - of those flapjacks would be an effort to finish but I'd never make a dent in that plate - did you manage to finish it? It looks divine of course, but huge!

    And forgive my ignorance, but what's that ball sculpture thing you photographed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Drumming fingers ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya Lindel,

    The sculpture was originally located near the Twin Towers. Click on the photo to enlarge and view the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already did, that's why I asked. I just figured their pidgeons had too much fibre in their diet...

    Ta though, for explaining - makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete