The rest of our first day in Washington DC went pretty well so we decided to try some of the local cuisine around Dupont Circle. However, a burger joint was the last thing I was thinking of. With a motto, “One burger YOU MUST HAVE before you die”, John and I agreed not to add it to our bucket list because there is no time like the present. The food at the The Burger Joint (BGR) undeniably delivers on its motto. They even ask how you would like your burger cooked.
The prime, aged, hormone-free, corn-fed beef is the juiciest patty I’ve ever tasted. The patty was cooked to perfection and severed with the freshest salad, cheese and bacon on a sesame-seeded brioche bun. For sides we ordered sweet potato fries and a root beer. The meal for two cost $30 but it was well worth it! If you not into beef also available are ahi tuna, turkey, lobster, cumin-and-mint-laced lamb, even black beans, brown rice and molasses (the vegetarian version) is on the menu
The decor in modern and fun, and music is always playing on several televisions screens. Without a doubt BGR has ruined other high-end burgers for us both. On the way back to our hostel we settled on having a night cap (one drink) at Maddy’s Sports Bar on Connecticut Avenue. Quite frankly John wasn't up for kicking on further. The atmosphere at Maddy’s was relaxing and pleasant. We chatted to some of the locals for a while who loved the stories of life from Down Under. But at times I just can imagine they were thinking man, these crazy Aussies. Midnight rolled around quite quickly so we headed back to the hostel for a good rest to prepare for the weekend ahead.
Ciao,
Mark



I have never, and will never, understand the love of burgers so many people have...I mean, I like one now and then, but they are always a last choice, and only if they are weighted down by half a market garden of fresh salad. But that lamb one actually interested me. You certainly made the most of the food variety on offer whilst there. The bar sounded fun.
ReplyDeleteAnd then....
What a cracker of a feed mate. Hope you had the Enos on hand. Looks fantastic! HTVVHB
ReplyDelete