Under the darkness of early morning John and I awoke at 3.00 am, in preparation for our departure from SUNY Oswego. As luck or should I say good timing would have it, Professor Susan Camp (my host) was also catching an early flight out of Syracuse. Susan kindly offered a ride to the airport and arranged with us to be at the apartment around 4.00 am to catch our 6.00 am flight to JFK New York on route to Washington DC. Packed and ready to go (not really) I took some last minute photos of the apartment.
As expected there was little traffic on the road and we arrived at Syracuse Airport an hour before our flight. Again we booked with Jet Blue so our first bag is free and the second bag charge was only $30, a bargain if the bags turned up at our destination. After recent events I breathed a sigh of relief as check-in and security went to plan, however, due to a heavy overnight frost the aircraft had to de-iced prior to take off.
With only a half hour delay we arrived at JFK at 7.30am which is well before our 10.15 am flight to Washington DC. A cup of Joe, muesli and yogurt hit the spot for breakfast at a cafe while John decided to update his Face book on the free Jet Blue Wi-Fi. He was so excited to be in NYC but would only truly experience the “Big Apple” on our return journey.
Finally an on time departure...well done Jet Blue. After my last visit to Washington DC I was hoping for some kind of redemption but that was not meant to be. We arrived at Dulles Airport at 11.30 am and at the luggage collection area noticed that one of John’s bags had all three approved locks removed by TSA. However, they were not put back on. With out of pocket expenses of $60 for the locks, John approached a TSA officer who remarked “Yeah that happens all the time, just go to our website and fill out a complaints form”. I’m guessing it may be some time before John receives reimbursement for the missing locks.
Despite this small hiccup, Washington DC put on a near summers day. We were greeted by blue skies and warm temperatures. Regardless of John’s pleas to catch a taxi (approximately $80), we then caught the 5A bus ($6) from Dulles Airport to Rosslyn train station. From Rosslyn it was then on to the Metro Center and another train to Dupont Circle station ($4). From Dupont Circle it was a short 10 minute walk to the Gallery Inn. It was a great effort from us both; pulling two bags each as well as carry on. Note to John and I for next time, don’t buy so many shoes.
The hostel was well appointed and clean. We had our own room and ensuite for $100 a night including taxes. The rest of the afternoon was spent strolling around Dupont Circle and posting another two boxes of clothes back home.
Cheers,
Mark
PS: Still to come...the weekend in Washington DC and living the dream in NYC.










That apartment is beautiful - very very comfy and homely - just lovely. Would have been sad to leave that behind but looks a bit small for a home theatre entertainment room...just sayin'...
ReplyDeleteSucks about the locks - love the casual 'not my problem buddy, fill in a form' and the unspoken 'good luck sucker' on the end of that statement.
Add to Self-Notes: Next time don't buy so many shoes OR expensive luggage locks. And purchase fibre in CAPSULES...mind you, you'll probably be stopped for those as well ("is this some kind of new rave drug you're trying to smuggle into the States, Mr Harris, known terrorist and person of interest, hmmm? Something with a little more 'substance' than the usual brand of ecstacy? Come on, be a 'stool' pidgeon for whoever is behind this and we'll cut a deal. If you 'let it all out', you'll 'feel much better'..."
Okay, I promise I'll stop now!
You're right too, he looks nuthin' like you.
Now, where's the rest - you've been back like 3 weeks already...
Hi ya Lindel,
ReplyDeleteSorry to correct you for the second time on your blog comment. I've only been home for two weeks and all this time I thought you were perfect. Nevertheless, the posts will be worth waiting for.
My GOD you commented on a comment - it must be Christmas.
ReplyDeleteTwo weeks, three weeks - a slight exaggeration and I never ever ever ever ever ever EVER exaggerate normally.
And you were right. I am. Like Mary Poppins - 'practically perfect' at any rate. Except for that little problem I don't like to talk about ....and the charges were dropped...
Only way to go from there is down I guess so I will admit to practically gorgeous with room for improvement. Know a good surgeon?
Come on then - waiting - you promised it would be 'worth it' - holding you to your word now...